With millions of single people now using online dating services, the chances of finding love online are higher than ever. However, to make the most of this, you need to know how to play the game, which is where our online dating tips can help.
Read on to discover the new rules of engagement.
1. Being simple gets you nowhere: The goal of online dating is to catch somebody’s eye with your profile info. Instead of stating that you like sunsets, mention the best sunset you’ve ever seen. Specific information not only makes you look intriguing but also gives potential dates something to talk about!
2. Don’t bother using misleading photos: You’re either going to get caught, or your potential love interest will ask to see you in person at some point. So, save everybody the heartache and post authentic photos of yourself.
3. Never put all your hopes on one person: You might feel like you’ve found “the one” after the first hello, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Try having a few upcoming dates at once until you’ve managed to develop a real bond with someone offline.
4. You’re not obliged to reply: Not everybody takes a rejection well. If you are being approached by people you’re not interested in or attracted to, it’s totally fine to ignore their messages and keep it moving. “Thanks but no thanks” can feel more hurtful than no reply at all.
5. Beware of catfishes: Millions of people hide behind their computer screens each day to pretend as someone they’re not, particularly on online dating sites. With that being said, don’t be afraid to Google someone you’ve just met online. Use Google’s “search by image” feature to fact check, and anything comes off as strange or unbelievable, ask questions.
6. Ditch the wishlist: Many women make the mistake of delving into online dating with an overly-specific goal, such finding a 6-foot tall man with curly hair, brown eyes, a high paying job, and no kids. Lists like these are not only off-putting but make you sound like a control freak.
Keep your standards high, but let them be realistic.
7. Meet within weeks or stop messaging: Never allow an online conversation to drag on for up to a month without a date, ladies. You may think you’re “connecting” by chatting for so long, but you can never judge chemistry unless you actually meet up.
8. Don’t get discouraged: Your first few weeks of online dating might feel discouraging, and you’re going to have nights when you scroll and scroll and scroll but your efforts amount to nothing. However, it is important to exercise patience and keep an open mind, and believe that you might eventually meet someone who will knock you off your feet and give you every reason to stay.
What other guidelines do you think are necessary for a successful online dating experience? Let us know in the comments section below!
Photo Credit: Adobe Stock